Nut Milk | When I realized you are what you eat, I realized I was nuts!
Why was the almond late for work? Because traffic was nuts!
What do almonds drink? Nut-tea!
What did the psychologist say to the almond with multiple personalities? You’re one tough nut to crack!
Okay, okay… enough already
Now Steemians, Why are we nutty about Almonds today?
Because we’re making nut milk …with ALMONDS!!
Why go to the grocery to buy diluted Almond Milk when you can make your own? It's so easy!
Did you know?
- Almonds are 100% reliant on honeybees and wild bees for pollination. If there aren’t bees…no almonds! And remember, bees don’t work during rain, frost, nighttime or early morning!
- The immature green almond can be pickled! Considered by some to be a delicacy
- Almonds were one of the first foods to be awarded a qualified health claim in the United States
*Almonds help to slow the absorption of sugar and carbohydrates in your body
- There are 8 varieties of almonds, the Nonpariel variety being most popular
Now let’s make some Milk!
1 cup Raw almonds
Organic vanilla (optional)
Nut Milk bag
Note: you may use cheesecloth but the Nut milk bag is very durable and reusable. Just wash thoroughly when finished
Place almonds in 2 cup measuring cup. Fill with filtered water to fill measuring cup (2cups)
Let sit overnight (or 8-10 hours)
The next morning drain and rinse almonds.
Place almonds in blender and add 2 cups fresh filtered water. Blend until completely blended.
At this point you have two choices.
• You can strain the blended almond milk using the nut mylk bag
• You can use the almond milk the way it is. Very thick, great with oatmeal, in protein smoothies!
If you choose to strain the milk:
Fill milk bag with blended almond. Squeeze all milk through the milk bag into a bowl leaving almond pulp in the bag. (Set pulp aside. Stay tuned, I'll share what to do with your almond pulp in later post)
Nut milk bag.
Repeat process until you have strained all blended almond.
Pour strained almond milk into a pitcher. You can add additional filtered water to your milk. Typically I add 2 cups of filtered water to every 1 cup of strained milk. You don’t have to do this. You can use your strained milk without any additional added water.
Optional add: You may add ½ -1 tsp vanilla to you milk if you wish to give it a slight vanilla flavor.
And there you have it!
As always, thanks for stopping by today. I hope you enjoyed your visit.
Blessings to all!
Feel free to check out some of my prior posts!
Friday Foodies We're Turning up the heat!
How I almost lost my daughter to Asthma
We're rolling out Rockin Raisins
Baked Apples stuffed with Granola
Purple Power Super Hero Smoothie